Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Two Years! And people said it wouldn't last!

In one week John and I will be celebrating out two year wedding anniversary!  Seeing these Daffodils poke their heads up through the ice and snow today is a beautiful sign for me - more than ever.  Two and a half years ago,  I made the hopeful act of planting daffodils thinking it was possible I wouldn't see them bloom.  BUT I DID!  John and I got married and set out to enjoy as much of whatever time we were blessed to have together.  Two years later... we still are!  I am so thankful for each day and the treasures they have brought me.  I continue to be amazed.

John and I just returned from Colombia visiting his Colombian family who circumstances brought into his life some 20 plus years ago.  Out of kindness on both sides,  the relationship of these two families is enviable and beautiful.  John's eldest son joined us for parts of the trip.  The welcome of the two daughters, son and parents was beautiful and the product of many years of close friendship.  I felt fortunate to be included and thrilled to see such warmth and dedication.  Colombia is a country in flux, and right now is a great place to visit.  There is much to learn there. 

The continuation of a long time friendship and family relationship had, frankly, concerned me when I have felt so "temporary" myself.  I felt like the "x".  Not the x-wife,  but the X in algebra - the "place holder."   The closeness of the two families has continued through decades - and there was another woman there with John - who was actually most influential in the creation of the closeness.  As the woman who is now at John's side,  and who felt quite "temporary" in that position,  I felt like the x.  Two plus years after the diagnosis,  I don't feel so much like the "x" and am starting to have a little of my own "history" here.  It was wonderful to be part of another page or chapter in the bond between the families and continued mutual affection that has been built.  It was a great trip - and an amazing reality that I feel much more alive than I have. 

John and I spent a couple of days after the visit with the Gomez's in Cartegena by ourselves.  It was truly a magical time.  We stayed in the Old city at the Casa Saint Augustin.  Our room was amazing and it was tempting to just stay in and Google the history of the area!!!    But we ventured out, learned some history, were amazed at the building outside of the Old Town,  and had some incredible meals. 
our own pool with privacy~


dinner outside of the Old Town using it as a glorious backdrop.


Going forward - I am much more open to looking at a longer horizon that I had been - which sometimes scares me.   I do not think about my "disease" as frequently as before, and am even daring to think farther into the future than three months.  

this continues to be an amazing journey.  


No comments:

Amaros,amaros Amaros

WE also got an education         about a  AMAROS -          CARDAMARP     AMARO MONTENEGRO     AMARO NONINO and     SFUMATO I'll Get bac...